Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Butternut squash soup

Allan got me a butternut squash when we were doing our Halloween pumpkins and I left it pretty neglected on our counter... Since we're trying to use up most fresh items in the house now before the holiday's this weekend - it was time for it to be used. I've made an acorn squash soup before and wanted to try and curry/ginger butternut one without a recipe and throwing what I wanted into it.

Not in the picture that was used: Paprika, broth, and the squash :)




I started by roasting the squash - cut it in half, brushed with olive oil, and added salt and pepper. Roasted the squash in a 400* oven for about 40 minutes or until tender.





While the squash is cooling,
cut up your onion, celery, and carrots.
 I have about
 1 1/2 cups of celery and
 carrots and used 1 medium 
onion.



Warm up a large pot with approx 2 Tbls coconut oil, 
adding in your desired amount of
 ground ginger and minced garlic. 
Once warm, saute the vegetables until soft.

I like to add my seasoning when sauteing - 
I added salt, pepper, ginger, curry powder, and paprika.

When the squash is cool to the touch
 you scoop out the center,
 leaving the skins,
 into the pot.
 Let the squash saute
 with the vegetables.




Once mixed well, add 1 cup broth (your flavor of choice - I used beef broth as it's all we had but would've preferred chicken broth) and 2 cups milk. Adding more of either to get your desired amount of thickness.

In the process of blending - doesn't look the MOST appetizing, but I assure you it's good :)

After bringing the pot to a boil, turn down and use an immersion blender till smooth.






It ended up being a fairly "sweet" soup - Next time I would add a little more spice to kick it up a notch, possibly Sirracha or red pepper flakes :)











Enjoy!
e.l.l.

No comments:

Post a Comment